Brave a world where wounds litter souls and society from January 16 to 21 in Girl From The North Country LIVE at Shea’s Performing Arts Center! In its latest touring season, the Olivier Award-winning production has 18 cities left to hit in its North American route, each show offering 2.5 hours of atmospheric music and soul-rending tragedy. Set in a Depression-era Duluth, Minnesota, Girl From The North Country follows the lives of the Laine guesthouse tenants, from the pregnant Marianne Laine (Sharaé Moultrie) to the widowed Mrs. Neilsen (Carla Woods) and others. Different among inner demons as they are, together, these wayward people stumble forward, seeking the light at the ends of their tunnels. With direction and book from playwright Conor McPherson, the Tony Award-winning musical features a catalog of classics from songwriting legend Bob Dylan, including “Hurricane” and “Forever Young.” Book your seats now and experience this saga in the immersive ambiance of Shea’s Performing Arts Center!
Girl From The North Country Tickets
“A rapture of a musical. Listen up: You’ll want to journey to the spiritually rousing Girl From The North Country!” – The Washington Post
“Miraculous! A rapturous act of theatrical storytelling.” – The Hollywood Reporter
Pressing forth its North American tour, Girl From The North Country sets out for the 18 remaining runs in its 2023-2024 seasonal schedule, which includes highly anticipated performances at Shea’s Performing Arts Center from January 16 to 21.
By the shores of Lake Superior in Duluth, Minnesota, the winter of 1934 has debilitated a small town already crippled by the Great Depression’s oppressive grip. In it lies a boarding house that has seen better, brighter days, owned by the Laine family and resided by a cast of mismatched denizens of different deeds and demons. Brace yourself for an unforgivingly bleak yet defiantly hopeful tale where these lives and liaisons intertwine, betraying a fray of dementia, of addictions, of dreams that lay on death’s door, and of the candlelights within that flicker against all odds.
“Nothing less than a Broadway revelation.” – Chicago Tribune
Girl From The North Country is two and a half hours of utterly compelling character drama driven by some of today’s most gifted talents on stage. It is a saga of sins and sorrows that remains a starkly reflective portrayal of human conviction all should experience at least once in their life, with songs and music from one of history’s greatest lyricists.
MAIN CAST & CREATIVE CREW
- Alan Ariano as Dr. Walker
- David Benoit as Mr. Burke
- Ben Biggers as Gene Laine
- Jennifer Blood as Elizabeth Laine
- Matt Manuel as Joe Scott
- Sharaé Moultrie as Marianne Laine
- Jay Rusell as Mr. Perry
- John Schiappa as Nick Laine
- Chiara Trentalange as Kate Draper
- Jill Van Velzer as Mrs. Burke
- Jeremy Webb as Reverend Marlowe
- Aidan Wharton as Elias Burke
- Carla Woods as Mrs. Neilsen
Paul Blankenship will provide offstage cover, with Ashley D. Brooks, Justin Michael Duval, Kelly McCormick, and Hosea Mundi in ensemble roles and Rayla Garske, Warren Nolan Jr., Ali Regan, and Danny Vaccaro in swings.
Girl From The North Country features a critically acclaimed score reimagining TWENTY of the most evocative hits from 10x GRAMMY Award winner and Hall of Fame singer-songwriter Bob Dylan’s zeitgeist-defining discography: “Forever Young,” “All Along The Watchtower,” “Hurricane,” “Slow Train Coming,” “Like A Rolling Stone,” and MORE.
Following the book and direction by esteemed Irish playwright Conor McPherson, the musical’s world comes to life through the expert work of the following backstage creatives.
- Rae Smith – Scenic & Costume Design
- Simon Hale – Orchestrations, Arrangements, And Music Supervision
- Simon Hale & Conor McPherson – Additional Arrangements
- Mark Henderson – Lighting Design
- Simon Baker – Sound Design
- Lucy Hind – Movement Direction
- Campbell Young & Associates – Wig & Hair Design
- Barbara Rubin – Associate Director
- Dean Sharenow – Music Coordinator
- Wiley Deweese – Music Director
- Jeff Brancato – Production Supervisor
- Justin Myhre – Production Stage Manager
- Rachel Heine – Rachel Heine
- Katie Girardot – Assistant Stage Manager
- Foresight Theatrical – General Manager
- Hudson Theatrical Associates – Hudson Theatrical Associates
- ARC – Casting
- Tristan Baker, Charlie Parsons, Runaway Entertainment, Steven Lappin, Charlie Parsons Creative, Grove Entertainment, Ophelia Chua, Dianna Dimenna, John Gore Organization, Independent Presenters Network, Sony Music Entertainment, Nederlander Presentations, Inc., Alchemation, Andrew Treagus Associates, Eric Passmore, The Dodgers, Aaron Lustbader, The Old Vic, and The Public Theater – Producers
Named after the eponymous contemporary folk classic by Bob Dylan, Girl From The North Country originated at The Old Vic in Waterloo before transferring to the West End row, where it ran for a limited 12-week engagement. Here, it won a Critics’ Circle Theatre Award and two Laurence Olivier Awards in recognition of its leading and supporting actresses.
“Audacious, enlightening, beautiful, beguiling.” – Rolling Stone
“The hauntingly arranged music lifts the show toward transcendence.” – The Guardian
Due to the London production’s resounding success, the show found its way to the United States, kicking off at the Public Theatre of New York City in 2018, where it won Outstanding New Off-Broadway Musical from the Outer Critics Circle Awards. Two years later, it made its Broadway premiere at the Belasco Theatre, and despite complications from the pandemic, it still came out as one of the most applauded productions of the time. It received a nomination for Best Musical Theater Album in the 64th GRAMMY Awards, plus seven more from the Tonys, winning an award for British composer Simon Hale’s orchestrations.
The musical has since spawned several replicas in international theater, including sold-out tours throughout Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand, with a recently announced film adaptation starring Olivia Colman and Woody Harrelson in the works.
Tickets are selling out for Girl From The North Country’s upcoming shows LIVE at Shea’s Performing Arts Center! Book your seats now and take your pick from any of its presentations from January 16 to 21.